Thursday 22 January 2009

My Articles in Art and Soul Magazine

Over the past year I have been dabbling in the worlds of journalism, of course as Scroobius Pip says,
just 'cos you got a blog, don't make you a journalist, fair play. I was asked to supply a local magazine, called "Art & Soul", with arts editorial. This was in February 2008. There was little in the way of arts content going into the magazine at the time. (the music scene in Peterborough is far in advance of the visual art scene) This request caught me completely by surprise, but I was excited by the idea, gave it a go and absolutely loved it.
Art; it's histories, theories, practice, the opinions, the science, the social commentary and political potentials, and it's philosophy have been a passion of mine for a very long time. The idea of writing for a local magazine, voluntarily, which had a print run of 5000 each month, fitted in nicely with all my other projects, my passions and my previous experience's. I have studied Film, Photography and English, I have studied TV & Film Production and Art & Art History, I have had work exhibited in London & Manchester and done loads and loads of live work with my mates in raves, bars, clubs etc,providing banners, projections and VJ'ing etc. I was also, (and still am) working with a local Art Collective, called Muddy Arts, who were doing big group shows and art projects, including running own own bar/cafe and putting on big events including a festival (Grassroots festival, http://www.thegrassrootsfestival.co.uk/)
So the chance to write about art and artists, to meet new artists, to document the art scene in Peterborough was like manna from heaven. have been doing it for one year, with a break just recently over Christmas and New Year, and in that time of reflection I felt I should probably make my articles available online in one place. So here it is for you. Over the next few weeks I will upload my work from the previous year and then start to add new material as the 2009 unfurls itself from it's coil of infinity into the finite crosshairs of future and past.

Have Fun, and please feel free to ask questions or leave comments. I want to develop my work so any dialogue that can help me to evolve my technique is always received with the good grace of a Kendo student.
Much Love,
Luke Payn
Burghley Road Studios
January 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment